Memorable Verse

"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander

30 January, 2007

No Talent + Laziness = Synergy

So the fact that I have no talent has always kind of bothered me. I know I have my good qualities. This isn't one of those self-pity, low self-esteem, feel bad for me and tell me how great I am blogs. I'm okay at a lot of things. Fairly decent at a few. Mediocre at a lot. And then the rest, I just suck at. For example, as everyone knows, I can't sing. I can't even try to sing without my friend's husband trying to sock me in the face. (Don't deny it Josh, you know you've always wanted to.) I can't play sports. I know the basics, I'm just not actually good at it. I am okay at air hockey. I am an excellent speller. (That one I don't think qualifies as a talent, though.)
Anyway, I've always kind of been bummed that there's not one thing that I just excel at. But then, as I was watching tennis the other day and thinking of how great these guys are, I realized that by having this amazing talent, they have to work really hard at what they do.Great singers have to work hard to get where they are. And then I remembered that I don't like to work hard. Even if I'd been given some great talent, I'm sure I would have either squandered it by not working at it, or else resented it for making me get off of my butt and do something.
So anyway, the point is that my talentlessness works perfectly with my laziness. It's like God knew when I was made that I would waste what I was given, so I got nothing. It's worked out great. So now, I can sit back, watch a game, listen to some music, and appreciate someone else's hard work while I do nothing.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

now you know very well that i would eat myself if i was a hot dog. don't ask dumb questions.

Heidi said...

i am so glad youhave come to grips with your lack of talent! you have come along way. though you are a good concert pianist!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought that maybe it's everyone else in the world who can't sing? Maybe you actually have the MOST talent. Hmmmmm....something to think about

Novey said...

I like your reasoning Val. You my friend are pure genius.