Memorable Verse

"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander

31 May, 2007

Science Center

Today we went to the Science Center. Carey's mom and I took Olivia and George. It was a fun way to waste the morning. But poor George probably will never want to go back. First, he fell at least 5 times. A couple of times he hurt himself when he fell. Then we went to a demonstration called "Fire and Ice". The ice part used liquid nitrogen, at a temp. of (I think) 375 below zero. Anyway, it was pretty cool. First they took a balloon (the kind you use to make balloon animals) and put it in a small styrofoam cup and the air inside contracted so much that it looked completely deflated. Then when they took it out, it inflated back to normal. Then the lady took a racquetball and put it in the nitrogen and threw it against the wall. It shattered into a million pieces, and then George started to freak out, screaming and crying. So I had to take him out of the room.
Right across the hall there was a bug exhibit. Inside there were these giant bugs, about the size of an SUV. The giant tarantula freaked me out a little. It was big enough to eat me and it was mechanical, so it moved around a little. I had a dream back in junior high that a giant spider chased me and I ran into a shed in our yard. Anyway, I've never forgotten the dream, and seeing that giant spider just brought the fear back for a bit. Also, there were these cases of bugs everywhere. Like when they pin the bugs to the wall. Anyway, they had these walking sticks from different countries. Some of them were well over a foot long. And some of them were really fat and gross looking. Hopefully I don't get any nightmares from them. I actually thought they were kind of cool. But George and Olivia, of course, didn't. We had to leave before I could look at the rest of the insects. George kept saying, "I want to go home. I want to see my mommy." It was pretty funny.
All in all it was a fun day. Even though I had to miss most of the bugs. And the ball of fire that Olivia got to see (they filled a balloon with hydrogen and touched it with a flame and it popped the balloon and the air inside lit on fire.) I'm sure that would have been cool. But I wouldn't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noves, I'm proud of your for sticking up to those spiders and bugs! I was just telling someone the other day about the day I found that spider in my dorm room, and I called you to come over and help me kill it. We didn't have any bug spray, so we were trying body spray, hair spray....sucker survived all the beauty treatments!

Novey said...

I totally remember that! We had to go out in the hall and find some random person to come and kill it for us.