Memorable Verse

"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander

04 April, 2007

Life Lesson Learned

So it's only 3 days into my 2 weeks of watching the boys and I now understand why not many many moms are in the nanny field. Really, after going to work amid tantrums, crying fits, defiance of everything I've just said, being completely ignored, or worse laughed at when I say no, hearing the words, "You're not my mom" or "You're not in charge" I then go home and have to make dinner, give baths, get ready for bed, brush teeth, read books, and then have children scream and cry and throw tantrums because, much as he may wish it were, it's not okay to hit your brother with your plastic sword and it's not okay to hit your brother with anything, and then to have to quiet the screaming child while he's kicking and completely freaking out and keeping it so bedtime is not even an option, and then when everyone is finally quiet and I think they're sleeping, I get up and then the youngest one follows me out of the room a minute and a half later and it's almost 10 when they're all finally asleep, but I know that sometime during the night, the oldest one is going to get out of bed and go kick me off the sofa I'm sleeping on because I refuse to sleep in my own room since I saw a mouse in there a few days ago, and then I'll have to go lay on the twin bed with the youngest child who tosses and turns constantly and worse, grinds his teeth extremely loudly and then I'll have to get up tired tomorrow morning and since I'm in a room with a 3 year old, I can't even push snooze on my alarm, which means I just have to get up without having any time to slowly wake up.
Anyway, it's only Wednesday (almost Thursday) and I feel like it should be Saturday, and my patience is pretty much used up. I don't think it will replenish until I spend some time away from everything, soaking up the sun, basking in child-free glory. Also I've been in a pretty bad mood the last few days, which is bad when coupled with absolutely no patience. My vacation couldn't be coming at a better time. The only problem is that I don't really want the boys to leave, so I don't want the next week and a half to come because that's when they're moving out to Wyoming. But I really want the next week and a half to just fly by because that's when I'm leaving for my trip. It all becomes bearable though when Bryce kisses me (usually he turns his back to me and backs into a hug and then kisses my arm) and tells me how much he loves me. And then Blake likes me to lay next to him while he falls asleep, and he uses my arm like most kids use a teddy bear. And Olivia does something really funny or really grown up and makes me laugh. And George just has to smile and look at me with his dark brown eyes. And then I guess I do regain just a touch of my patience and lose just a touch of my frustrations....
Anyway, the life lesson I have learned is that my nanny career will only go as far as my single career. And when I have kids, I'll either have to get a job away from the house, or sign my kids up for lots of activities away from the house.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

holy smokes noves so heiders time away from home will do you wonders!! i am making the list as we speak for what we need and what we can share. lets compare notes to night. that will cheer you up as well i am sure.