Memorable Verse

"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander

18 July, 2007

Weekend Adventures

So I went to Arkansas this weekend for my friend Christie's wedding. (Congratulations Christie!) The plan was to drive to Kansas City after work on Friday, meet up with Heidi and then drive the rest of the way to Arkansas. Well, when I to Liberty, just a little before KC, I ran over the rumble strip on the side and then my oil light came on about 1/4 second later, and then my car died. Completely died with me going 80 (or, for any overprotective aunts who may be reading this, I was going 65) mph. I managed to get over to the right shoulder and stop, but my car wouldn't start.
Luckily, a guy in a tow truck saw me pull over, so he came back around again and offered his assistance. I had to call my own roadside assistance first to make sure they would pay him to tow me in, but since it was 6:30-7 pm on a Friday night, no one was open. We ended up leaving my car at an auto shop overnight and then I called the next morning to give them my information. They looked at it and called me back Saturday afternoon to tell me that my car, as a safety precaution, turns off the fuel to the engine in case my car gets jostled too much. I guess it keeps the car from exploding in an accident. Anyway, all they had to do was push a button to make it work again. They were very nice, and didn't charge me for it. But they didn't open until 7:30 on Monday morning, so I picked my car up and had to drive back to West Des Moines for work on Monday, which meant I was 2 1/2 hours late. I was so happy, though, because it could have been so much worse. I feel dumb every time I tell that story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I was about to call the tow truck when my car wouldn't start--and then I realized that it was in Drive. I FOR SURE would have done the same thing you did.

Did you see my reply to your comment on my picture on Facebook?