Memorable Verse

"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander

26 June, 2007

The dumb things I do

So after work this evening, I had to go to the store to buy a few groceries. I decided to use the self check-out, where you scan and bag your own items. Anyway, when I was paying, I asked for $20 back. I put my groceries in my cart. I grabbed the receipt and put it in my purse, and I left my $20 in the machine. I'm the kind of person who will pay for something and walk away without my bag. Or I'll give the clerk a 20 for a soda and then they run after me when I'm leaving without my change. But this time was worse. Because I had actually consciously asked for money back. And then left it.
So I got home, realized I didn't have the money and totally thought there was no way anyone would ever have turned it in. So I decided not to even call. And then I started thinking, "what would I do?" And of course, I'm usually brutally honest about that kind of thing. When I go to Starbucks, if they forget to charge for the extra shot of almond I get, I tell them they're not charging me enough. Anyway, I decided, why not just call? It's not going to hurt. So I called and some lady had asked for $20 back and when she got her money, she had $40, so she turned in the extra to customer service. So in the end, I got my money. Anyway, I figure if I was the sort of person to keep the extra money, I would have just assumed everyone else would do that, too, and I wouldn't have even bothered to call. But in the end, honesty pays, because I thought there was a chance someone else would turn it in, as well.
Moral of the story: Be honest. And don't trust me to go to the store for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yey! I'm so glad there are still good people around! Do you remember when JOsh and I found that $100 in the parking lot at Stage in Siloam? We decided to find out whose it was since it was money for kids and she was a teacher. Stupid lady was not even thankful when we gave it back to her! We should have just kept it. =) Oh well, I'm glad you got your money back!