As millions of Americans were looking forward to an evening spent glued to a sofa or lazyboy, staring mindlessly at a football game, while gorging themselves on beer, nachos, and chili, I was planning on spending my evening locked in my room, reading a book or watching a movie, or doing something else that might pass the time. You see, I really don't care who wins in football. I have no loyalties, and I can't watch a game just for enjoyment. I know that the commercials are funnier and more entertaining than usual, but do I really want to sit through 4 hours of t.v. just to enjoy a few good commercials.
I was planning on being supremely bored, when my brother-in-law offered to give me money to take his kids away for awhile. So instead of watching a game or reading a book, I took my nephews to see Flushed Away at the cheap theater in town. We got there just in time. Blake had to go to the bathroom, so I took the boys in. He went, we got our popcorn and drinks and found our seats, crunching what seemed to be bucketloads of popcorn under our feet. There were 2 other families in the theater. We watched about 10 minutes of the movie and Blake said, "I have to go potty." So I took him to the bathroom. I let Bryce stay, and I don't think he even noticed I was gone. About 20 minutes later, Bryce said, "I have to go to the bathroom." Blake said, "Me, too." So we got up and then both boys decided they didn't have to go after all. Another 20 minutes went by and Blake said, "I have to go potty." Again, I took him to the bathroom and got back. 20 minutes later, "I have to go potty." I said, do you really? He decided he could wait 3 minutes for the movie to finish.
After the movie was over, the plan was for us to go home and have pizza. But we decided to go to Perkins for dinner as it was right next to the theater. Our waiter was wearing an eye patch and Bryce mentioned it to me. I of course told him not to stare at it or mention it because it was impolite. After a difficult 30 minutes, and about 3 bathroom breaks later, we were finally finished with our food. Bryce thought it would be fun to sprinkle salt on his leftover french toast and then insist on bringing them home. As I was grabbing our things, Bryce got up and went right up to our waiter, pointed his finger, and laughed saying, "You have something over your eye." I wish I had been wearing a shirt that said, "I'm not their mom, and please don't blame me for their behavior." 10 minutes later, the boys were finally wearing their coats, hats and mittens and we were on our way home. I look in the back shortly after we left the restaurant and Bryce was sleeping soundly in his booster seat, looking for all the world like the kind of kid who wouldn't laugh at someone's eye patch and who didn't just spend the last 40 minutes torturing me. I have no idea what happened in the movie, and I'm really not sure what I ate, but I did make it back just in time for the last quarter of the game. I didn't watch it, but I was able to get online and watch all of the commercials for the first 3 quarters.
Memorable Verse
"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
oh my goss noves that was... i don't even have words for it. hahahahahahaha
Oh Noves, I hope he paid you well for that evening out!!!
Oh, I don't actually ever get paid to take my nephews out. He only paid me for the money that I put in. (Usually, I end up spending a ton of money to babysit them as I end up paying for our activities.) I guess my payment is the enjoyment and happiness that my boys get to experience.
"Hello Visa? Can I pay off my credit card debt with 'the enjoyment and happiness that my boys get to experience'?"
Just kidding. I had an afternoon that sounded a lot like yours. We were at the mall and every few minutes, I heard, "I have to go potty." You never know when they are really serious, but you don't want to risk finding out.
"Hello Visa? Can I pay off my credit card debt with 'the enjoyment and happiness that my boys get to experience'?"
Just kidding. I had an afternoon that sounded a lot like yours. We were at the mall and every few minutes, I heard, "I have to go potty." You never know when they are really serious, but you don't want to risk finding out.
wow i had a afternoon like that too. i drank to much water and seriously every few minutes i had to go. i kept saying i have to go to the bathroom! and then i would think again good night you are a grown women hold it! and then i would sat, but i can't! so i would have to go to the bathroom again. i was really annoying.
I like how Val and I have days that involve kids going to the bathroom constantly. Heidi, you are a sad, sad woman.
just trying to fit in! you are my idols
Hey, do you guys think that our other friends read our blogs? Because they NEVER comment. =)
Post a Comment