Some of you (probably not Heidi) will know that there are currently riots in Kenya because of ethnic tensions between the biggest tribe there, Kikuyu, and some of the smaller tribes (mostly Luo, the second largest tribe in Kenya). Anyway, a brief recap over why the riots are occurring. Many of the Luo and other smaller tribes believe (with very good reason) that their current president was re-elected dishonestly and the opposition leader should be the country's new leader. Anyway, this all happened late December, sparking violence across the country. Today, however, the violence escalated again after a Luo lawmaker was killed.
So most people know that I spent 3 months in Kenya, in a town called Kisumu. I've been reading online and the town is in utter chaos. It's not a very big city, but according to reports, much of it - mostly the slums - has been burned. Most of the children at the children's home where I stayed were Luo. It's not a safe place to be right now and it really worries me. I also read reports that a lot of the violence is involving youth which worries me even more. In addition to the fear of safety, there is also problems getting food and supplies and for a children's home with close to 200 kids the lack of food is a very real threat.
So, bearing this in mind, please pray for Kenya, and more specifically, Covenant Children's Home in Kisumu.
I was going to write about some other stuff, but decided this was more important. I'll have to add my other stuff to another blog.
Memorable Verse
"But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham, my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am our God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41: 8-10
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" - Derek Zoolander
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
well i don't apperciate the not heidi remark but since i am a better person than you and don't put down i will definatly pray for them
thank you for keeping us informed on the things that r important n your life
Yeah! We have some missionaries right in the middle of all of it. Our mission director just headed down there with his wife and is giving us updates.
We'll keep praying!
Post a Comment